Thursday, December 17, 2009

Christmas in Canada

We headed up to Canada a couple weekends ago to celebrate Christmas with the Hanemaayer family. I love going up, but then... I'm a wee bit partial :) All my life my family has avoided exchanging gifts at actual Christmas time. The tradition in Holland has "Santa Claus" on December 5th. St. Nicholas visits the children with his helper, Black Peter. He rides on a horse and the children would leave carrots and such for the horse in their wooden shoes by the door. So, because everyone has other families to share Christmas with, my family has opted to stick to the 5th for our gift exchange and feast :)
My parents were able to clean up a good portion of the basement (obviously not finished) so all could eat around a table.


James sporting an eggnog mustache... Mmmm!

James receiving his gift on St Nick's lap.

Lucas receiving his gift.

1 comment:

  1. You didn't identify St.Nick and Black Peter. Who got to play the parts? :)

    ReplyDelete